Cultivating Writing Schoolwide — Elementary is designed to empower elementary educators with foundational knowledge and strategies to increase their skills and confidence in using writing as a powerful tool in a 21st century learning environment.
Educators across all discipline areas will gain strategies for teaching the writing process and build an understanding of the four common academic modes of writing (persuasive, expository, narrative, and descriptive) as well as writing for a range of academic purposes.
Participants will explore the power of metacognitive writing to cultivate literacy and student agency with a focus on primary and intermediate learning environments.
This collaborative experience will allow educators to support pre-emergent and emergent learners in accessing rigorous content and writing like content experts.
Participants will engage in both synchronous and semi-synchronous learning. All strategies, digital activities, and digital tools experienced can be leveraged in face-to-face or virtual learning environments.
- Intentionally include learning-through-writing instructional best practices within lesson design and delivery across all grade levels and content areas to deepen understanding and turn invisible thinking into visible learning.
- Understand and utilize each mode as a writing tool to help students develop clear and efficient communication of ideas in order to understand the content more deeply and tackle any writing situation they encounter.
- Understand and utilize the writing process as a learning tool to help students improve their academic writing and to develop a deeper connection and access to content.
- Understand metacognition and strategically infuse metacognitive strategies into lessons and content in order to encourage students to think about their thinking when writing.
- Support social and emotional learning through understanding the importance of metacognition in evaluation, feedback, and self-reflection.
The Power of Making Invisible Thinking Visible
The Modes of Writing to Increase Schoolwide Literacy
The Writing Process to Empower Learners
Feedback and Metacognition